March 18

How To Lose Weight: 22 Pounds In 24 Hours

Posted by admin
Filed under Avoid, Exercise, Lose Weight | 12 Comments

This is exactly what Tim Ferris, author of The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere And Join The New Rich (great book btw), did when he competed in the Sanshou (an eclectic form of kung fu) national championship in 1999.

When arriving on the site he weighed 187 lbs and wanted to lose weight so he could compete in the 165-lb weight class.  He lost 22 lbs (about 10kg)  in 20 hours by severely dehydrating himself (80% of you is water).

To achieve this, he combined:

• Temperature treatments (very hot baths) to lose water through the skin.
  • Using diuretics (dandelion root and caffeine) to lose water through urination

After the weigh-in, he gained 28 lbs (about 12kg) by rapid hydration so  he would be in optimal condition to compete.

Needless to say this is not healthy and in fact very dangerous (some athletes die doing this).  These techniques don’t make you lose fat, only water and are only useful for competition sports.  Don’t try this at home!

Read more on Tim Ferris’ blog here.

Here’s a video of a Sanshou competition:

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 at 4:59 pm and is filed under Avoid, Exercise, Lose Weight. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

12 Responses to “How To Lose Weight: 22 Pounds In 24 Hours”

1. weight on August 3rd, 2009 at 7:08 am

For me wii fit works

2. clarissa on August 25th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Wow. yes that does seem like a very dangerous if not incredibly dangerous way to do something about your weight.

3. gravi on October 28th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

lemon juice in morning with honey is good to reduce weight also.

4. gravi on October 28th, 2009 at 3:10 pm

is it risky to use??which one first method or second one??

5. gravi1 on October 28th, 2009 at 3:11 pm

is it risky to use??which one first method or second one??or both one

6. David at MeltBellyFat.org on November 19th, 2009 at 7:42 pm

This kind of weight loss is definitely unhealthy. If you want to lose weight and belly fat for real you should add whole foods to your diet and eliminate processed foods.

7. roses on December 1st, 2009 at 3:41 am

goodness!!!! what an unhealthy way to lose weight! exercise and eat right.
    i hope no one decides to go try this out to lose weight!

8. Ways To Lose Weight on December 14th, 2009 at 11:13 am

In college I was really slim but after giving birth to my first child, Emma, I started gaining weight. I was really sad but I managed to actually lose weight and I’m sharing my story at http://hubpages.com/hub/Ways-To-Lose-Weight-Now if anyone wants to read.

Have a good day
    /Sarah Yeh

9. Mary on January 7th, 2010 at 11:41 am

GENIUS!!!!! I’m SO going to try that!!

10. Jet Lag Help on May 12th, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I used to rapidly dehydrate for wrestling weigh-ins. I would not recommend this for any sort of purposeful mid or long term weight loss.

11. Rei D. on June 20th, 2010 at 3:09 am

omg…. im studying to be a nurse. and fyi YOU NEED THAT 80% OF WATER IN YOUR BODY TO LIVE!!!! this diet will make you very sick!!!! and very unhealthy and its a temporary fix!!! you arnt loosing fat. your sucking water from your muscles and organs. not a good idea. you can collapse your lung by doing this!!! a woman will loose wieght mostly from her face, chest, muscles and skin from doing this making her look saggy and oily. a man will loose it from his chest back and hips making him look deformed and very disproportionate… please who ever reads this dont do this. <3

12. EMS4 on March 10th, 2014 at 9:29 am

I am 100 percent with Rei D., I am a RN and I am small, average weight 108-110, I had gained up to 20 lbs and went on a low carb diet, all the artificial sweeteners are just as bad as plain sugar, this is very-very dangerous. not only losing all of your Low Potassium levels it will shut down more organs in the body. I lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks in this order, eat a nutrition breakfast (small amount) drink plenty of water and coffee is fine without the sugar, eat a fruit salad during the day and the “Key” is carb intake and saturated fat which if you starve your body it will store all foods in the Liver area which is stored as fat because it don’t know when your stomach will be feed, this is a big cause of not able to lose that stubborn belly fat. Its simple and safe, eat breakfast (small amount) eat small amounts through the day avoid anything with high carbs, snack on walnuts, eat your last meal or snack at least three hours before bedtime, it worked for me be careful not to lose your Potassium, you need this to keep all body organs working properly. This is how I lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks. DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF, following this and I promise you’ll lose weight and in the right way!