June 29

Bruce Lee Forearm Workout

Posted by admin
Filed under Exercise, Routines | 23 Comments

So you want strength and power in your forearms? Well who better to learn off then the martial arts master Bruce Lee. It has been said from people who have met Bruce that his grip strength was phenomenal and of course his infamous 1 inch punch uses a lot of explosive forearm strength. The secrets Bruce used are revealed below.

Bruce Lee

While Bruce has never publicly released his workout routine he has often made many comments about the routines he undertook to reach his phenomenal condition. Using this information here is an estimate of the workout routine Bruce would of used to build his forearms.

"Above all, never cheat on any exercise; use the amount of weight that you can handle without undue strain." – Bruce Lee

• 500 fist push-ups
  • 2 Sets of 6 Reps Bench Press
  • 2 hours of punching drills
  • Wrist Roller (Bruce Lees favorite where you roll up a weight attached to a pole with a string)

Personally I couldn’t even come close to this. But It gives you an idea why he was such an incredible human being. Now I would also add to Bruce’s exercises the wrist curl, palms down wrist curl and any pinch exercise.

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 29th, 2008 at 9:07 am and is filed under Exercise, Routines. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

23 Responses to “Bruce Lee Forearm Workout”

1. Bouncer on June 30th, 2008 at 10:56 am

and I do 500 pushups in 2 months..

lol

I don’t do soo much man….why will a normal human do this?

2. Laura@ Childrens T-Shirts on October 5th, 2008 at 3:52 pm

How about 1 finger pushups? My father personally witnessed bruce lee bust open one of those heavy duty punching bags in 1 kick. He’s the greatest of all time and in my opinion the great ones don’t fight in ufc because they don’t need to prove themselves

3. Laura@ Childrens T-Shirts on October 5th, 2008 at 3:53 pm

I wonder why he died…. too much working out?

4. How to Burn Calories on October 15th, 2008 at 10:48 pm

It’s unbelievable what good shape Bruce Lee was in. In a word… ridiculous. Forearms are very tough to work out but done correctly it makes a world of difference to your physique.

I’ve done the wrist roller before, it kills your forearms but it works really really well.

5. Natural Acne Treatment on November 12th, 2008 at 8:26 am

that is absolutely insane.
    he definitely was one-of-a-kind.
    he was not the biggest of them all,
    but with incredible work ethic,
    and determination, vision,
    anything can be achieved.
    and he showed that.

excellent post.
    if i never decide that i want to make my forearms stronger than anyone, this is the guideline that i will follow.

6. Hermosa Beach Day Spa on November 21st, 2008 at 10:54 pm

My brother is a big fan of this workout and has incorporated it into his routine for many years now. By looking at him initially, one would never think that he is even a bit strong let alone quick and agile, but he is. He has had no real formal training with the exception of weight training and boxing. Using a modified version of this workout (including the 1″ punch to an extent), I have seen how it helps in keeping the body in optimum working order. It also helps in continued flexibility and endurance (specifically targeting the punching drills). Now there is actually places that have this whole regimen on various sites like Mike Mentzer’s site, Wellspere, and even was mentioned in detail in one of his books on the art of expressing the human body. I personally don’t like training in this manner since I’m more into Yoga, spinning class, and a aerobics class using a trampoline, but my brother loves this component of Mr. Lee’s workout and I would back up anything he says. It shows too since people twice his size can’t even beat him in contests of strength like a tug-o-war or even an arm wrestle. Remember to take what the author of this post states: Don’t overdo it. I have seen people @ my local gym doing that to the point of passing out. It does no one any good. You can push yourself like I do, but know your limits. If all else fails and you’re feeling really sore after such a workout, one can always get a deep-tissue or Swedish massage to elevate that pain.

7. Weight Lifting Workouts on December 10th, 2008 at 4:36 pm

What a shame that Bruce Lee never released his workout routines…

With regards to your post the wrist roll exercise is a killer for forearms. That’s definetly an exercise that not many people have tried and is very effective at building forearms.

8. Sarah on December 23rd, 2008 at 11:08 pm

This seems intense. How often did Bruce do this workout? Every day? or Every second day?

9. David Webb on December 27th, 2008 at 5:12 pm

The man really was a machine. Watching the 1 inch punch is something special…no wonder he can get so much power! 2 hour punching drills is insane.

10. constantine on November 23rd, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

11. Workout Without Weights on January 29th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

As you said, Bruce Lee was an incredible human being. Way ahead of the game when it came to fitness. Invented a lot of his own fitness equipment and had it custom built, and did insane workouts like this!

12. Jlvi13 on March 7th, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Bruce Lee was and to me still is the greatest strongest human ever lived. He was so complete. I actually use a lot of his exercises myself and I feel great! Check out my youtube channel: jlvi13. I have a lot of videos on it and do demonstrations like dragonflags, the famous 2 finger push ups, V-sits and many more!
    I have been inspired by this man and I think nobody will ever get as strong and complete as he was!

13. Blaine on March 10th, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I believe the wrist roller is one of the best ways to increase your forearm strength. 500 wrist push-ups – what an amazing accomplishment. This just shows that one of the biggest ways to become successful is constant determination – he set standards higher then everyone else which gave him amazing results.

Great Post :)

14. marko on December 15th, 2010 at 3:51 am

have you people ever tried one of those things? because if you had you would have known that nothing from this list, apart from wrist rollers, works forearms. if you don’t believe me, try it yourself.
    besides, bruce never used exercises bodybuilders use, he used to have a stationed pole in his wall and he tried moving it (like trying to do a bench press) and things like that…
    i can only guess he did a lot of pull ups because they rip your lats and forearms like hell, and guess who had ripped lats and forearms?
    cya

15. james on January 18th, 2011 at 10:53 pm

very nice post, Im in the process of getting some good abs! :)

16. Stavros on March 19th, 2011 at 1:09 pm

wait!! when we say 500 fist push ups, are we talking about 500 push ups in a row??

17. Tim on April 21st, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I am a forearm fanatic.No exaggeration. I respect Lee for his hard work and dedication. I do exersises such as chin/pull ups, hammer curls, wrist curls and reverse curls. I also carry with me, a hand gripper that I so often use to enhance my grip and forearm strength. If you want to be as strong as Bruce, anyone else or just get fit, keep yourself devoted and motivated to your workout. I greatly assume Bruce put it that way efficently and the dude turned out to be incredible. R.I.P. Mr. Lee:(

18. pardeneniax on June 21st, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Hello all! I like this forum, i organize tons inviting people on this forum.!!!

Large Community, good all!

19. thomas on June 25th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

hi, im a fellow lee fan i have been learning in body and mind how devoted this man was and is. I only wish i was old enough to see how great he was in his time his formless form has moved me i’ve been learning the ways of the fist for a long time now and i would never go into the UFC it’s for fighters with no real fighting ablity or motivation i know i can fight so my students and i dont unless your in mortal combat “a fight life or death being your prize” he is the greatest 70 mile an hour round house i am humbled by his greatness an will pass his teachings on to other untel i pass on in to forever.

20. under on August 15th, 2011 at 3:05 pm

im a forearm fanatic too and i train my forearms for 3 years now and my forearm strength improved very much. i started and been motivated to train my forearm since iv seen bruce lees forearm in the way of the dragon when he shakes hand with the man in front of the door. i mean boy his forearm was huge and very strong. i think i came far but this man cant be reached…

21. joe on February 12th, 2012 at 3:06 am

I heard that Bruce Lee has about .1% bodyfat or some really low number like that. He only ate vegetables and then worked out really hard.

22. JKD Online on February 28th, 2012 at 8:50 am

Bruce was a big believer in forearm Bruce Lee workouts to improve his gripping and punching power.He was a forearm fanatic.

23. Amar Kshirsagar on September 21st, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Whats the use of such super human abilities if such a person dies at young age. His super human abilities make me think as if he was incarnation of some GOD.